Monday, April 14, 2008

Forecast: Big quake likely in Calif.

Ok, so I just published my last post and went onto other things, like checking my yahoo mail, and what is the big ol' headline:
By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer
Mon Apr 14, 6:20 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - California faces an almost certain risk of being rocked by a strong earthquake by 2037, scientists said Monday in the first statewide temblor forecast.

New calculations reveal there is a 99.7 percent chance a magnitude 6.7 quake or larger will strike in the next 30 years. The odds of such an event are higher in Southern California than Northern California, 97 percent versus 93 percent.

Yeah, ok so sure 2037 is a really long way away but if you know me, you know I am TERRIFIED at the thought of an earthquake. Really, I am, even just typing this my heart rate has increased significantly and my head is starting to spin, a bit dramatic, well, perhaps but that's the facts. So to this headline, all I have to say about it now is: We are so outta here, been there, done that. Thanks northridge earthquake, I'll never be the same.

6 comments:

Aundrea said...

You have earthquakes, I have tornados. I don't know which is more terrifying.

Tina ♥ said...

man, I hear ya! I guess that's when I will have ocean from property here in AZ. By then, so will you when you are living here again.

kjera said...

Ew I hate earthquakes as well. Hey, this is Kera (nuttall) Carroll. I need your e-mail address so I can send you an invitation to my blog!! My e-mail is kjeracarroll@hotmail.com

vanessa said...

Hey cute kids! I hope we don't move to CA! I don't ever want to experience an earthquake!!

DTown said...

I'm pretty scared of that kind of stuff too. But the statistics are pretty interesting to me. When was the last time that California was hit with an earthquake that was over 6.0? Oh year, that's right. I think it was within the last 30 years. Honestly, I could have guessed that statistic. Isn't it obvious that something like that will happen during a time frame of... say, 30 years? I would think that they would have said something like 10 years, not 30. It's such a large number.

Aundrea said...

yeah! new pics! how are you? i'm jealous of the beach pics, i miss california! taryn is getting so big so fast, tell her to stop growing! miss ya girl, and hope all is well!